History 471 PRC China Self Introduction

I’m Elle, Pisces senior graduating a year early. I’m pretty involved on campus – I mentor weekly with the program I founded -Young Women Leaders Program, I’m co-captain of Women’s Club Soccer, I’m a Washington Guide, & the Mortar Board Publicity Chair. I enjoy being busy and I tend to be pretty opinionated.

Academically, I am a history major. I wrote my senior thesis last semester on James Dean and the history of sexuality of the 1930s-50s. I really enjoy that pop culture look at history, so this was a good fit for me. I am really uncertain as to what I will want to study for this class. Possibly education. I watched a video from the Global Voices website that was a film of a dozen or so school children reciting a anti-all countries that are not China poem, which I found to be scary and surprising. I don’t know much of anything about the Chinese culture but I think it would be interesting to investigate what Chinese children are learning in their schools. If not that, I would be more than happy to look into some popular icons or music or something fun like that. I need to do a bunch more research before I decide.