US History in Film Initial Reactions

So another semester begins and yet again I am enrolled in a McClurken digitally enhanced class that requires/or suggests for extra credit at least, a blog.

I am looking forward to debunking and also qualifying historical movies that have been produced for the general public. Tuesday we are watching Disney’s Pocahontas and I am intrigued to know what good came from that movie.

Last week we discussed that historical films are just another interpretation of history, and they should be appreciated for what they are- a representation of the truth. I have never really heard anyone truly praise a historical film more than they tore it apart, so I am very excited to see where this semester leads. I definitely do agree that if nothing else, historical films do at least shed light on an event and make more persons aware – even if they question what the movie says to be true, hopefully it peaks an interest.

Stay tuned.

3 responses to “US History in Film Initial Reactions”

1. jmcclurken says:

Suggests, not requires blogging. You don’t have to blog unless you want to. [Your project has to be online, but it doesn’t have to be a blog. 🙂

2. jmcclurken says:

Don’t forget to include the tag 2008hist329 as well.

3. Reverend says:

Wow, Looking at your archives you have been at this a while now 🙂

And I respect you getting a blog, nothing funner than writing about film in my opinion. Moreover, there is a video of a Great Lives talk where Margaret Huber talks about the life and times of Pocahontas (http://greatlives.umwblogs.org/pocahontas/), which should help make for a fun deconstruction of the Disney film.

Don’t you love UMW Blogs?!